Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council
Is there a need for GED classes, adult basic education, and family literacy programs in the Pittsburgh area? YES! Every day five to ten new students call our offices to ask about enrolling in our programs. They urgently want to improve their lives through the power of education. Please help us to meet this heavy demand for services. Your involvement will open up a life.
News & Events
- New full-time Job opportunity with GPLC. read more
- GPLC has new GED testing information for 2015. read more
- GED graduates give "Shout Outs" to GPLC. Congratulations, graduates! read more
- GPLC is featured on the Heinz Endowments’ website with videos, photos, and blog posts. To access this feature... read more
- BE the Answer with our NEW online campaign. read more
- GPLC's annual luncheon at The Fairmont Hotel will be held on October 22, 2015. Registration begins at 11:30 AM. Tickets available now. read more
- Visit GPLC's Newsroom to watch the Comcast Newsmaker interview with Don Block, Executive Director read more
- Annual Leaders for Literacy Luncheon - October 22, 2015. Tickets available now! read more
- Reading should be a family affair... Read the full article by Representative Hal English and Don Block read more
- Visit GPLC on Facebook. Keep up with news & activities! read more
- New Volunteer Tutor Trainings just added through December 2015. GPLC students need your help! read more
- You can create a brighter future for a waiting student. read more
Opportunities for Adult Education and GED Preparation
At Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council, we specialize in basic literacy programs for adults, to help individuals earn a GED, increase their employment options, or even simply read to their children. While the goals of our students vary, we offer each the same personalized attention they need to help them develop foundational skills in reading, writing, and math. We help several thousand individuals and families across Allegheny County each year through our adult education programs and GED test prep classes.
For the convenience of students, GPLC now offers GED testing from our own facilities. Conversational English classes are available for ESL learners who want to improve how they interact with others in everyday life. Health Literacy classes are also available, enabling students to understand medical forms, prescription instructions, general nutrition, and health risks.
Volunteer with GPLC
If you would like to get involved with GPLC, we always welcome new volunteers to support our organization. Most volunteers become tutors, although there are non-teaching volunteer opportunities as well, such as fundraising support. To best serve student needs, we ask that tutors prepare for four hours of service time per week, but there are alternative options available for those with scheduling limitations. As a tutor you will have the full support of the GPLC staff for teaching techniques, preparing lesson plans, acquiring teaching materials, and with any other challenges you encounter.
Fundamental Job Training
Certain skills are needed to succeed in most jobs today, including reading, writing, basic math, and computer proficiency. These skills are highly transferrable and allow job seekers greater flexibility when looking for work. GPLC hosts programs that not only equip adult students with basic communication skills but also have elements specifically designed to prepare participants for the job market with a particular emphasis on computer skills and software. With these skills, students will be prepared to start a new and better career.